Mold and mildew often form in places where moisture can not escape into the air. Unfortunately, some older refrigerators have trouble ventilating their moisture and if they are left untreated, mold and mildew will form. This is unsafe in any area of your home, but the refrigerator needs extra care and attention. Use this step-by-step cleaning process to remove mold and make your refrigerator squeaky clean!
- The FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT step is to remove any food in the refrigerator that might be loosely covered or uncovered near the mold. Even if it doesn’t show signs of mold, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
- NEXT, remove all compartments and drawers whether they have signs of mold or not. Fill them with warm, soapy water and leave them to the side while you clean the refrigerator.
- AFTER THAT, pour 1TBSP of baking soda into a bucket and add warm water. Once the baking soda is completely dissolved, take a warm cloth and scrub the inside of the refrigerator.
- For the gasket, make sure you scrub gently and be sure not to rip the liner.
- Drain your drawers and compartments and scrub them down with the baking soda solution as well. You can then put them back into the refrigerator.
- To prevent future issues, make sure food remains covered and check on your refrigerators ventilation.
Here at Speedy Refrigerator Service, we do way more than clean refrigerators. We are a full- service appliance repair and installation company that specializes in refrigerators. We have been in the business for over 75 years and our technicians are in the Nassau, Queens and NYC area right now helping clients like you.
To schedule service, call 866-782-9376 or click around on our website!