Your refrigerator gasket is the rubber seal around your door that is responsible for keeping cold air in and warm air out. The gasket takes the most abuse, and if it isn’t taken care of, it will wear out quickly. A properly-functioning gasket is essential in keeping your energy bill low, but it requires a little maintenance on your part.
- A door that won’t remain closed usually signals a gasket problem.
- Mold or mildew build up on the gasket can limit its ability to hold a seal. It can also be dangerous to your health.
- Dampen a soft rag with warm, soapy water and gently begin cleaning your gasket.
- After you are satisfied with your cleaning, begin drying the area with a clean towel.
- When your lips are dry and cracked, you apply vaseline to heal them. The same holds true for your gasket. Apply a little vaseline after your cleaning to prevent the rubber seal from wearing out.
- If your initial clean didn’t remove the mold or mildew, you should continue to follow along.
- Mix one part bleach with two parts water in a spray bottle.
- Take the spray bottle and wet the areas where you see black spots. Let that sit for about 10 minutes so the bleach can work its magic.
- After the time is up, begin wiping down the areas where you applied the solution to ensure a full clean. Once you are content, wipe down the gasket with soapy water again to remove the bleach.
Your gasket is vital to the success of your refrigerator, so if it needs to be repaired, let Speedy Refrigerator Service take care of it for you. We pride ourselves on our ability to fix any problem in a timely and professional manner. If you live in Long Island or New York City, call us at 866-878-9111 to schedule your same-day appointment with one of our licensed technicians.