Your refrigerator gasket is the rubber seal around your door that is responsible for keeping cold air in and warm air out. The gasket takes the most abuse, and if it isn’t taken care of, it will wear out quickly. A properly-functioning gasket is essential in keeping your energy bill low, but it requires a little maintenance on your part.
- A door that won’t remain closed usually signals a gasket problem.
- Mold or mildew build up on the gasket can limit its ability to hold a seal. It can also be dangerous to your health.
- Dampen a soft rag with warm, soapy water and gently begin cleaning your gasket.
- After you are satisfied with your cleaning, begin drying the area with a clean towel.
- When your lips are dry and cracked, you apply vaseline to heal them. The same holds true for your gasket. Apply a little vaseline after your cleaning to prevent the rubber seal from wearing out.
- If your initial clean didn’t remove the mold or mildew, you should continue to follow along.
- Mix one part bleach with two parts water in a spray bottle.
- Take the spray bottle and wet the areas where you see black spots. Let that sit for about 10 minutes so the bleach can work its magic.
- After the time is up, begin wiping down the areas where you applied the solution to ensure a full clean. Once you are content, wipe down the gasket with soapy water again to remove the bleach.
Your gasket is vital to the success of your refrigerator, so if it needs to be repaired, let Speedy Refrigerator Service take care of it for you. We pride ourselves on our ability to fix any problem in a timely and professional manner. If you live in Long Island or New York City, call us at 866-878-9111 to schedule your same-day appointment with one of our licensed technicians.
Unfortunately, a bigger kitchen is not always attainable, so you need to make due with the space you currently have. Spaces like the one above your fridge can serve a purpose if you utilize them correctly. Check out some creative ways to take that area above your fridge from space waster to space saver!
Shelves are easy to put up and can save you a ton of space in the kitchen. If your cookbooks are currently in a drawer, you are doing it all wrong. Hang some shelves above your refrigerator and stock your books up there. Now you can use that drawer for more oftenly-used items like Tupperware and utensils.
Hang Up Some Entertainment
Some people actually take the space above their fridge and turn it into an entertainment center. Mounting a television in this area is great for watching the morning news or your children’s favorite cartoons.
Put Up a Wine Rack
Hanging a wine rack on the wall above the fridge is a great way to keep it from getting in the way. There is no need to have it on the floor where bottles can be knocked into and broken. Nobody likes when wine goes to waste!
Utilize Storage Boxes
Take wood or felt storage boxes that match your wall paint and stack them on top of your fridge. We wouldn’t recommend putting frequently used items up there, but it is not a bad spot to store holiday kitchen decorations.
Now that you are an expert on the space above fridge, let us handle what is on the inside. If your fridge is having trouble getting through this hot summer, look no further than Speedy Refrigerator Service for your repairs. Call (866) 782-9376 to schedule your same-day appointment, or visit us on the web.
The best kind of meals are the ones large enough to feed the whole family. Whatever recipe you are trying for a Sunday meal, it is best to double it for good measure. But after that meal is over and you feel like you’re going to explode, it is time to store that food so you can pick on it throughout the week. Make sure you are storing your leftovers properly, because inadequate storage can lead to food poisoning or worse!
Here are some tips to help you out:
- Don’t let your food sit out for more than 2 hours without being refrigerated.
- When you have a large amount of leftovers, it is best to separate them into smaller containers. This will allow the cool air to circulate around the food and stop bacteria growth before it even starts.
- With any kind of stuffed meats, it is best to remove the stuffing and refrigerate them separately. If you choose to leave the stuffing inside, you run the risk of it becoming too warm and possibly contaminated.
- Refrigerated leftovers should be consumed within 4 days of the time they were cooked. Anything longer than this and it should be kept in the freezer for safety. Bacteria can’t grow in freezer temperatures, so this will allow you significantly more time to enjoy your food than refrigerator storage.
- When you reheat leftovers, it is not enough to just make them warm. Food should be microwaved to a temperature of 165°F, or until you can see it steam.
- The optimal temperature for refrigerator food storage is between 34-38°F. The key to safer leftovers is having a fridge that can get the job done.
If your fridge is having trouble maintaining the optimal temperature, there is a chance it is need of repair. Speedy Refrigerator Service has been serving the New York City and Long Island area for over 75 years and we would love to help you out! Call (866) 782-9376 to schedule your same-day appointment, or visit us on the web.